Position title: Medical Officer of the Commonwealth
Position location: Sydney
Work type: Multiple full-time and part-time contracts
Essential Requirements: AHPRA etc: 5+ years’ experience post-grad; unrestricted AHPRA, Australian Citizenship; double-vaccinated as a minimum
Pay type: hourly/salaried etc: Salaried
Indicative rate of pay: $170,000 + Super per annum, + Bupa Benefits
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Be at the heart of helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives. Bupa Medical Visa Services delivers visa medical assessments on behalf of the Australian Government to our customers who are applying for visas to live, work or study in Australia. We are known for our welcoming, rewarding and high-performing workplace, with our customers at the heart of everything we do.
The Medical Officer of the Commonwealth will use expert clinical judgement to provide opinions on the outcome of visa medical assessments. The MOC will support the Principal Medical Officer and all clinical employees by recognising opportunities to improve the customer and staff experience and providing leadership in clinical governance.
The primary responsibility of the role is to review and provide medical opinions against the Australian Immigration Health Criteria for visa applicants undertaking Immigration Medical Examinations (IME). This information an include visa type, age and background, clinical assessment, selected pathology tests and chest x-ray that is completed by the appointed panel physician network. The MOC’s responsibility encompasses the more complex medical assessments not meeting criteria for automatic clearance.
- Assessing the medical fitness of applicants to enter Australia and identify conditions that represent public health risk, associated potential costs, and/or prejudice of access for the Australian community, including more complex cases.
- Conducting reviews of cases where visa applicants are found to have medical conditions resulting in refusal of their visa application.
- Providing objective health assessment advice for applicants seeking intervention by the Minister on medical grounds.
Associated responsibilities include:
- Contributing to medical education and training of EMPs/Panel Physicians.
- Reviewing systems to ensure the provision of safe, high quality medical services and other clinical care.
- Performing medical assessments from time to time, as required.
- Providing expertise/support during the implementation of new services.
- Legal and regulatory compliance, adherence to internal operating procedures as well as the management of business risks is the responsibility of every Bupa employee. You are required to comply with Bupa’s risk and compliance policies, procedures, frameworks, and regulatory requirements, as they apply to your specific role at Bupa.
- Ensuring that Bupa Australia’s Health & Safety policy and associated policies and procedures are effectively implemented to minimise risk and to provide employees with a safe working environment and safe systems of work.
The MOC will be up to date with current Australian medical practice, emerging global health issues and population health. Success in this role will be measured by the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and key stakeholders, make sound clinical judgements and be outcomes focused. The role will be consistent with and form part of the Bupa Group’s clinical governance framework operating across the Bupa International Markets.
To be successful in this role you require:
- Relevant clinical experience and expertise in areas relevant to, or in, immigration health.
- A rounded senior medical practitioner, with a breadth and depth of experience (at a minimum for 5 years post-graduate).
- Knowledge of legislative and regulatory environments in health, particularly in the immigration area.
- A reputation for effective and timely delivery and making things happen.
- Recognised medical degree.
- Full registration with AHPRA.
- Be an Australian Citizen.
Be at the heart of it with Bupa:
- Excellent work life balance and no late-night shifts!
- Great location close to restaurants, gyms, public transport and secure parking.
- No Medicare Provider Number required.
- A big, supportive team where your contribution is truly valued – our people love working at Bupa!
- Opportunity to build your career with a Global leader in healthcare.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email our Recruitment Partner, aiden.wallage @ bupa.com.au and apply now – we’ll start interviewing as soon as we receive your application.
A career at Bupa is more than just a job. It’s an opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of our customers and communities. Our purpose, helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives, is what inspires us. It’s a promise to our customers to change lives for the better. Our people are at the heart of this. It’s their passion, ideas and commitment that will shape a brighter future for both Bupa and our customers.
To learn more about working at Bupa please visit our website: www.bupa.com.au/careers